CovationBio PDO Announces Launch of First Saucony® Running Shoe Powered by Susterra ® Propanediol
“This partnership with Saucony on the Triumph RFG was a natural collaboration as we
aim to build a more circular economy with a renewable footprint globally, especially in
the performance footwear brands category.” John Hurban, Vice President, Global Marketing and Sales, CovationBio™ PDO
“This partnership with Saucony on the Triumph RFG was a natural collaboration as we aim to build a more circular economy with a renewable footprint globally, especially in the performance footwear brands category,” said John Hurban, vice president of global marketing and sales at CovationBio™ PDO, the world’s largest producer of 100 percent bio-based 1,3 propanediol (or “BIO-PDO®”). Susterra® propanediol is a 100 percent BIO-PDO derived from regeneratively-grown dent corn. A partnership with Primient and Truterra, LLC, supports these regenerative farming methods at farms across the Midwest (U.S.). By using nature as a source, CovationBio™ PDO transforms the plant-based feedstock into a building block designed to reduce the need for petroleum-based components and improve product performance.
“We are proud to be a part of Saucony’s sustainable mission, and this marks a milestone for Susterra® propanediol. It’s the first example we’re aware of where this percentage of bio-based content is used in the midsole of an athletic shoe. We believe runners and fitness enthusiasts will benefit from increased high-performance shoe flexibility, comfortability, and durability. This shoe sizes up against the competition and goes the distance to have a lighter environmental footprint,” said Hurban.
Triumph RFG Features
- PWRRUN BIO+ cushioning is 55% corn based (made from Susterra® propanediol), limiting dependence on plastic
- PWRRUN BIO+ sockliner; made to perform with PWRRUN+ sockliner for added comfort
- Durable gum rubber outsole is made from 80% natural rubber
- Breathable mesh upper made of cotton using plant-based dyes
- Soft collar and padded tongue for 360 degree fit and feel
- Category: Neutral
- Heel-to-toe Offset: 10mm (37mm heel/27mm forefoot)
- Weight: Men’s 10.4oz. (295g), Women’s 9.7oz (275g)
- Sustainability: This style is vegan and contains recycled materials
Susterra® Propanediol Features
- USDA 100% certified bio-based product derived from regeneratively-grown dent corn
- BIO-PDO is petroleum-free and offers high-performing, sustainable solutions for a wide range of polyurethane applications
- Benefits include improved flexibility and tear strength, strong durability and adhesion properties, softness and transparency, and enhanced abrasion resistance
- Generates up to 48% less greenhouse gas emissions cradle-to-gate compared to 1,4-butanediol (BDO), a common petrochemical-sourced alternative
Pricing and Sizing
The Triumph RFG is available in men’s sizes 7-13, and 14 and 15, and women’s
sizes 5-12 at a suggested retail price of $160.00. To find a Saucony retailer near
you, call 800-365-4933 or visit here.
About CovationBio™ PDO
Primient Covation LLC (“CovationBioTM PDO”) is the world’s largest producer of 100 percent
bio-based 1,3 propanediol (or BIO-PDO®). By using nature as a source, CovationBioTM PDO
transforms a plant-based feedstock into high performance products containing Susterra®
propanediol and Zemea® propanediol. Susterra® is a registered trademark of Primient Covation
LLC and is used under license. For more information, please visit CovationBio.com and follow
on LinkedIn, Instagram, and Facebook.
Saucony, the ‘Original Running Brand’ and a division of Wolverine World Wide, Inc. (NYSE:
WWW), is a leading global performance running brand that fuses innovation, style and culture.
Widely recognized for award-winning technologies including PWRRUNTM PB, PWRRUN+TM,
and SPEEDROLLTM, Saucony creates innovative technical and lifestyle footwear and apparel
across Road, Trail and Originals. Founded in 1898, Saucony exists to inspire and enable
people to live a better life through running culture, self-expression and their impact on the world.
For more information, visit www.saucony.com.
# # #
For further information contact:Alexa Raab
CovationBio PDO Media Contact: